As this Year of Our Discontent slowly grinds into the (less-than) festive season, a collection of unintended consequences that have occurred in the last 12 months.
- From regulatory hands-off to Madoff (dedicated to the SEC).
- From a home to call your own to Home Alone (dedicated to the sub-prime market).
- From a bull in China to a bull in a china shop (dedicated to believers in perpetual motion).
- From full of ships to a ship of fools (dedicated to the shipping bubble).
- From copper to cropper (dedicated to the commodity bubble).
- From dear oil to oil, oh dear! (dedicated to Peak Oil - in capitals - and Goldman's analyst who called for $200/bbl).
- From laissez-faire to less-is-fair (dedicated to salary cuts, forced vacations and the job market in general).
- From Friedman to Friedman (dedicated to Milton and Thomas, respectively).
- From BRIC to bric-a-brac (dedicated to developing economies).
- From the yen carry trade to the carry-out counter (dedicated to spread indigestion).
- From correlation trades to poor relations (dedicated to money for nothing).
- From Credit Default Swaps to Schweppes Club Soda (dedicated to indigestible free lunches).
Yours truly is going to abstain from posting for a few days, concentrating instead on friends, family, food and drink - not necessarily in that order. Toodles..